Saturday, June 13, 2009

Brooke's Back!

Yesterday seemed to take forever as I waited for 2:00 PM to come, so I could call and check to see where Brooke was on the route home from camp. I spoke to Mrs. Rachelle, the 4-H leader, and she said they would arrive about 2:30 in Reidsville. I was very happy to hear this, and my heart sailed when I saw her with bags in hand...ready to head home. I asked her how she enjoyed camp, and her reply was that it was...okay.

Okay, is not the response I was expecting. I really figured she would say that she either lovcd it or hated it...but what did okay mean? Once we got home, we sat down on the couch and she told me a little about her week.

It seems that Brooke does not like the idea of a public pool as she only went swimming once, and then she decided that some of the kids at camp were not bathing as she thought they should (daily)...yet they were swimming in the pool. Brooke decided that there was no way the pool could be kept clean under these conditions, so she was not venturing back in...

Brooke was also concerned that some of the kids were simply not responsible enough to be at camp because of the amount of money or other items that the kids seemed to lose. Brooke said she just could not see how someone could bring their purse with them to class, but then forget it just a little while later. Brooke was also shocked that if someone found a purse, they would remove the money from it. She told me that she just did not know what was happening these days...

While I sat and listened, I heard something that made me feel good about the job that Jamie and I have tried to do as parents. Brooke told me that the week had made her appreciate how much time her Daddy and I spent with her and Zach; she was glad that she had rules to follow, so she would know what the rules were when we weren't there to remind her...and she said that no matter how aggravating her brother could be at times...she missed having him around because he was the one person who always thought her ideas were the best ideas he had ever heard of...

We missed her too... :-)

1 comment:

  1. My girls kinda had the same reaction at 4-H camp. They sorta enjoyed it, but didn't understand why no one was following the rules and doing their chores like they were supposed to, as the counselor's instructed. They never got in the pool their week there, and weren't interested in going to camp again. I got the same reaction... we appreciate the time we spend with ya'll.

    ReplyDelete