Saturday, June 13, 2009

Can you keep a secret?

Whenever someone comes up to me and says, "You are never going to believe what Zach told me," my palms begin to get sweaty and my mind races as I try to prepare my reaction for what I am about to hear. Well, this past Thursday evening when I arrived to pick Zach up from VBS, I had that moment. A gentleman, who has a son Thomas that is Zach's age, came up to me and said those very words. I smiled nervously and replied that I could only imagine what Zach had said. Thomas's dad went on to tell me that while they were eating supper, Zach asked him and Mrs. Phyllis, Zach's VBS teacher, if they could keep a secret. Of course they told Zach that they could!

Zach went on to explain that his mama was just going to die when she realized what he had done. (Now, this is the exact way that I heard this retelling, so in my mind I am silently praying that whatever it was that Zach had done...please Lord, don't let it be so bad that we have to either move or simply never go into public again!) I kept smiling and listening to the secret that Zach shared that he was sure would cause my death...Thomas's dad continued the story by saying that Zach then leaned over and whispered, "I'm at church, and I am not wearing any underwear!"

Mrs. Phyllis came up at this point in the story and told me that Zach then leaned over to her and said that you really aren't suppose to wear underwear with a bathing suit. Now, I am guessing that in Zach's mind, he thought that everyone would assume his blue shorts with loud orange blossoms on them were just another pair of shorts and not a bathing suit, especially since he was wearing a t-shirt and shoes with them. Both the adults thought this was extremely funny, I on the other hand can appreciate the humor now, but I was on the brink of heart failure wondering what secret my child had just shared with other members of our church...a secret that would make me want to die...thank goodness it was just that he wasn't wearing underwear at church.

By the way, for those of you wondering why I would send my 6-year old to VBS in his bathing suit...it was the night that water activities were planned, so I was trying to make sure he was dressed appropriately. I guess Zach questioned the appropriateness of his dress!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! That Zach...

    I'm glad Brooke made it back and u can relax (somewhat) now.

    ReplyDelete