Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Camp, Reading, and VBS

Yesterday was the day that Brooke headed off to camp. Jamie, Zach, and I saw her off at the 4-H office in town. She seemed fine, and I reminded her that she would have a wonderful time. Once they told the kids to load up on the bus, Jamie headed to work and Zach and I got in our car. I decided to pull off past the bus in case Brooke needed to tell me one more thing...good thing I did! Brooke jumped off and waved at me to stop. She came up to the driver's side window and told me that they could have gum at camp; I had bought her a big pack a few days ago, and she wanted to grab it out of the car. I noticed her face looked really funny, so I got out and walked around to her. I hugged her again and told her she would love camp. When I looked back at her face, she was all teared up. She told me that she was sad to leave us; it took everything in me to keep from telling her that we would just call the whole thing off...she could just stay home! BUT, this is what she wanted, so she assured me that she would be fine...just being a little emotional. I told her not to hestitate to call if she needed us, but I did think she would enjoy herself. (I hope I am right!) She walked back on the bus, and Zach and I headed home. My heart was a little heavier...I am praying that she does have a wonderful time.

Once we got home, I decided to check my email. Low and Behold! Brooke had sent me one on Sunday night telling me how nervous she was about camp, and she hoped that she had made the right choice in wanting to go...talk about something making me doubt myself as a parent. She did end her email by saying this was something she wanted to try, but she just hoped it worked out well. (We both are hoping it does!)

Never did I realize how much Brooke helps me around the house until she is gone! Zach took every step I did, and he became very frustrated with me that I could not make the Wii do things that Brooke can. He finally told me that he wished Brooke was here, and that I had went to camp. (He later said he was sorry, and that I am good for a few things...then he asked for a grilled cheese!) Finally, I decided to get Zach out of the house, so we headed to Grandpa's to pick blueberries. Zach picked about 10 before he decided that it was hot and Grandpa was probably sad in the house all by himself. So, I picked blueberries by myself. I hate to say it, but I did not mind so much. It gave me some time to think and process my morning thus far. I ended up with 2 beach pails full of blueberries, and I made the most delicious blueberry cobbler last night after Bible school. :-)

This year at GMS, we are hosting a Summer Reading Olympics program to encourage our middle school kids to read. Last Monday was the first night, and we had 22 kids visit. Last night, we had 20 kids come by and many of them were first time visitors. Upcoming 6th, 7th, and 8th graders can check out books, take AR tests, eat snacks, and enjoy reading from 5 PM until 7PM each Monday evening. It is very rewarding to see these kids participating and enjoying themselves. I am also participating! I read a very good book by Katherine Patterson, Jip, His Story. It was a very interesting story, but then in chapter 12 there was a plot twist that I did NOT see coming. The good and interesting story turned GREAT! I really enjoyed it! This morning I have started reading When Zachary Beaver Came to Town. Several 8th graders told me last year that it was really good...I will let you know!

During the reading program, I took Zach to VBS. One the way home, he told me that they had a birthday party for Jesus, and it was cool! He then told me about the awesome Jesus necklace they gave him. Then Zach asked me if we were Jewish...when I told him know...he wanted to know what the difference was between us and someone who is Jewish. I tried to explain to him about race and religion...then he wanted to know why Jesus was Jewish and not Christian. How do you explain this to a 6-year old? Now, let me be clear...I am not so concerned about him understanding as much as I am concerned about how he will repeat what I say (and where)...because I can assure you that it will come up at some point and be "Mama according to Zach"...not "what Mama actually said." I will let you know what comes back to haunt me!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Teresa! Just wanted to share that I was going into the 6th grade when I went off to Epworth. I BOOHOOED when I left. Once I got there, I was fine and had the best time. I might have been a little homesick, but I was having such a good time. Brooke is having a blast. She is such a sweet sweet girl, and I know this will be one of the best times in her life. :) Friday will be here soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are u 2 ladies doing up so early???? That Z is just 2 much. He should easily keep u occupied! LOL!

    ReplyDelete